Friday, August 29, 2014

Jean Paul Gaultier Exhibit

Everyday when I took the tube to class I would see advertisements for the “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk” exhibit. Recently I was near the Barbican museum and decided to view the exhibit.  I walked into the room and started admiring the mannequins and all of a sudden, the mannequin looked me in the eye! I was so shocked because for a second, I thought the mannequin came to life. Soon I realized the

faces were projected onto the mannequins. It is amazing how quickly technology is advancing and how it is incorporated into our daily lives. One mannequin in the first room represented Gautier, he spoke an introduction to the exhibit and it felt like he was there in person. Many of the mannequins spoke and were interactive. One mannequin in particular screamed, “Why are you string at me!” as I stopped in front of her. Every mannequin had it’s own personality; another mannequin said, “ I am so tired of standing here.” Walking through the exhibit was quite entertaining.


The center of the exhibit was a mannequin runway show with mannequin judges that critiqued the catwalk. In this exhibit I was able to see the details of the garments up close and it was very astonishing.  As a Madonna fan I really liked the section dedicated to Madonna for her infamous cone bra designed by Gautier. Overall, really enjoyed the exhibit and I am so glad I went to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment