Monday, July 1, 2013

1 Week to Prague and Counting....


I am preparing to travel to the city of Prague in the Czech Republic.  With one week to go, I am finishing up my Pre-Trip Course and gathering some last minute necessities for my month abroad.  I am starting to get a little anxious because I've been thinking about this trip since January, but the Pre-Trip Course is keeping me very focused and organized.  It is a great way to prepare for a once in a lifetime experience.  We've been covering a lot of Czech.  I'm having a little bit of trouble mastering the pronunciation of some words but I find the language to be very interesting.  My instructor for the course is extremely helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to the language.  We also have explored the history that is the root of the Czech pride and culture.  It seems that the Czech lands have had a very bumpy history and are extremely proud of their cultural identity.  There is no doubt that Czechs are just proud to be Czech!  A lot of the literature we are reading and studying deals with the history or folktales of the Czech lands.  I personally enjoy the folktales, as they are funny and clever while still communicating a clear moral message.  The last couple weeks have really excited me for this amazing opportunity and I can’t wait to just get over there.  I intend to post a lot of pictures relating to my studies, as well as pictures of my day-to-day journeys.  My next post will be coming to you from Prague!  Ahoj (goodbye in Czech)!

2 comments:

  1. I will also be on the Prague trip! I really wish we could have more time with the language though. Some pronunciations are hard. But I think once we get there and immerse ourselves in the culture, it might be easier? But I look forward to reading your experience as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you're going to have so much fun in Prague, Josie! I'm in London right now and it's amazing! I chose the London program due to the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with a language barrier, but I think that learning Czech is so great and will definitely enhance you're experience! Have so much fun, and don't let your anxiety get the best of you!!

    ReplyDelete