Friday, July 12, 2013

Ahoj! From Praha!

Ahoj, everyone!

I hope you all are doing well! I am all settled into my dorm at Prague. On Monday, the 8th, I left on a flight out of Newark at 6:30 pm and arrived in Brussels at 8:10 am the next morning. It was the strangest experience for me, since I have never been to Europe or even on an overnight flight! My layover allowed me enough time to get across the airport to my next Gate to Vaclav Havel Prague Airport, which I arrived at around 10:30 am.
I had to take a picture of the sunrise on the plane, even though it felt like it had just set!



From there, I waited for my luggage and found that it had not arrived. I had to have it delivered to the dorm where I am staying, which it did not arrive until after 7 pm. But I am very lucky it was not lost!

The first night, we were split into groups to go with Czech students to dinner. A small group of us went out to eat at an outdoor pub nearby with two Czech students Tina and Tomas. I even got to ride the bus and learn what it is like to eat Czech cuisine. I also discovered that when dining out, water is more expensive than beer, which is pivo. The Czechs love their pivo!

The next day, we had our first experience with breakfast... sausages that look like hot dogs, croissant like rolls, yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs. Ohh and bread rolls! It was not bad, just a little strange.

The entire program met in the lobby and went out on the metro and met for orientation in the city center. We enjoyed experiences in Wenceslas Square and lunch. Later in the day we enjoyed a great tour of our tour guide's, Milos, favorite parts about Prague. It was lovely! We saw the Lennon Wall, the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, and plenty more including the David Cerny art that is a fountain that consists of two male statues peeing on a map of the Czech Republic. This city has so many interesting and unique things!
The David Cerny Statue outside of the Kafka Museum.

The first day of classes went well. I have class at 9 and then again at 2 or 3, depending on which day of the week it is. Later Thursday night we got to go to the jazz festival in Old Town square!

I really am having an amazing time exploring the historically beautiful city of Prague!

For now,
Na Schledanou (spelling might be inaccurate)!

Victoria

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you keep posting new entries of Facebook so I know when to read!! So happy for you my love!!

    ReplyDelete