Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pit Stop in Dublin - Almost Home!

As I've said before, I am really fortunate enough to have several friends also studying abroad in Europe this summer, which makes it very easy to travel around and visit new countries and cities.  When booking my flight home from Florence, I realized it made a lot of sense to stop in Dublin on my way and visit a couple friends there.  I have never been to Ireland or the UK before, so I was really excited to have a completely new experience.  I arrived in Dublin with no troubles, and took a cab to my friend's dorm.  I instantly found it disorienting to be speaking English and be surrounded by people speaking the same language as me.  The fact that I found this so odd, solidified that I really did call Florence home.

Upon arriving in Dublin, my friends showed me the neighborhood around their school and dorms and we went out to a few pubs that night.  I'm not a huge beer drinker, but was introduced to cidar and I absolutely love it.

Bulmers Cidar - Dublin, Ireland

Dublin, Ireland

Cidar looks like beer and has a similar consistency, but is a lot sweeter and more enjoyable for me.  We planned on spending the day Saturday going to Cliffs of Moher through Viator, a company that busses tourists from Dublin to the countryside and visit sites such as the Cliffs.  They stopped at several neighborhoods along the way and really gave me a sense of what the Irish countryside looks like.

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Erin, Zac and I at Cliffs of Moher

We had a beautiful day for exploring the Cliffs, and I'm so glad I had this opportunity!  It wasn't so much of an "oh-my-gosh", breathtaking experience as I found the Amalfi Coast much more impressive, but it was wonderful and beautiful nonetheless.  We spent Saturday night at Copperface Jack's - a well-known Irish club and danced the night away on my last night in Europe!

Dublin was a really quick trip as I had a morning flight on Sunday back to Boston.  I'm so glad I had the chance to visit a new country and spend some time with friends I hadn't seen in weeks!  I definitely would love to return to Dublin, and I hope everyone that is studying there has a great rest of their time!

Arrivaderci,
Adrienne


No comments:

Post a Comment